Trading software

Friday, August 3, 2012

Galway Festival Betting Tips, Friday, day five


It was a bit of a rollercoaster day for my bank balance on Thursday with the financial trades doing very well but the racing at Galway doing woeful. I was particularly gutted with the nap of the day, Dazzling Suzie, as I had a pretty hefty bet on that one - but she just couldn't find anything when she got to the hill. Yellow Rosebud was also disappointing and was beaten by a head.

As mentioned, I sold Silver, Gold, the Dax and the Dow. I also have an open sell on GBP/USD.  While the Dax got stopped out, the rest of them quickly went into profit as the markets fell following the ECB meeting.

At one stage, I was up over €100 in profit but as I stand, I'm up 80 odd quid:


Again, the stakes were small but I didn't want to use up too much margin as it is a new strategy that I'm working on. It's nice to get something back on the day following a poor day on the horses so hopefully they stay well in the black - although I'm keeping an eye on the markets as they always get choppy around non-farm payrolls.

***

The form study bet, Silken Express, won fine so I'm delighted with that. Again, I'm not counting my chickens but it's good to see a recovery on those following a poor spell not so long ago. I've two form study bets for Friday, both from Galway - here's Timeform's comments:

5.40 Galway - Nupur
Dark Angel half-sister to 3 winners abroad, including useful French 7.5f winner Double Vie. Promising second to Harasiya on debut and unsuited by steady pace at Naas last time. Should do better.

8.15 Galway - Distant Memories
Useful performer who landed listed race at Pontefract for Tom Tate in 2011. Showed useful form over hurdles for current yard and looks to have been found a good opportunity returned to the Flat.

***

With regard to the running, I got out on Thursday morning for a bit. I've had a mad busy week and am quite tired now so I'm not sure when I'll go out again. I want a small bit of time to myself over the Bank Holiday weekend as I've put in about 50 hours this week already across all codes. I may get out on Sunday or Monday, I'll see how it goes.

Finally, here's Friday's Irish Independent article. Hope it proves fruitful, could do with an extra few bob for the long weekend:


NURPUR
DAY five at Galway has arrived which means we're well past halfway . It's a tough old slog and there's been plenty of ups and downs for punters in the four days just gone. I've had my own rollercoaster ride with the bookmakers this week and alongside some decent priced winners, I've had a fair share of bad luck including two horses getting chinned on the line on Wednesday; both of which had traded at 1/10 in-running in their respective races before getting beat. After four days of gargle and gambling, punters at Ballybrit will find the tiredness setting in around now but it's important not to lose focus, and the formbook deserves just as much attention on Friday as it did on Monday. The famous American Football  coach Vince Lombardi once said that fatigue makes cowards of us all - but there's plenty more action to come so we'll keep the pot of coffee on the boil and see what the rest of the week throws up. Today's card looks decidedly tricky with some of the handicaps particularly difficult to decipher but I reckon there's at least one race that should be straightforward enough, where NURPUR (nap) can be backed at a fairly generous price of 6/4 in the Guinness 17:59 European Breeders Fund Median Auction Maiden (5.40). On paper, her fifth place from six runners in a maiden at Naas last time is off-putting but she was unprepared for the late burst of pace two furlongs out from Ger Lyons' winner Lightnin Hopkins and it's fair to say she was simply caught napping on the job. That's not much consolation for those that backed her at 8/15 but she did show ability when runner-up in her debut race at Leopardstown and I've no doubt that jockey Chris Hayes will keep a close eye on the moves of his six other rivals today. Dermot Weld's colt Muaanid can chase them home. In the Guinness Galway Blazers Handicap Chase (6.15), consider the old-timer AGUS A VIC at 8/1. At eleven years of age, he's no spring chicken but he proved at Punchestown that he can still run a big race and at these weights, the handicapper has given him a fighting chance this evening. 

TODAY'S SELECTIONS
5.10 Carlowsantana
5.40 Nurpur (nap)
6.15 Agus A Vic
6.50 Man of God (e/w)
7.25 Pale Mimosa
7.55 Merkel
8.25 Distant Memories



No comments:

Post a Comment